Friday 4 March 2011

Your First Mobile

It's really a rats race, you need to have bank accounts and bills in your name to buy a mobile, if you've just arrived here, it would be a little tricky...

First of all you need to open an bank account, it's a good idea to open it at Commonwealth Bank, it's easy and they have accounts with no monthly fees.

After a month you will have bank statement and your passport.

If you can get a drivers license will be good, it's one more document

If you rent a house in your name, even better, you have a copy of your contract and you can give to them a copy too.

But even with all of this, I could not setup a mobile account, Go for a cheaper and prepaid one, still hard because you need to give them lots of documents, proving that you are you, lol, funny and ridiculous process, use this one for a while.

If you have a job, half of your problems are solved, you can prove that you are not going away and few more important information to them.

Everything in Australia are points, you need to make 100 point, it means passport you get 50 point, if you show them, water or electricity bill, you get 30 more points, every company has their own punctuation form.

well take with you as much document as you can, as many document with pictures too, to prove your identity, they call it document ID.

The first thing that I could buy here was an prepaid mobile broadband and just because I had a job and I could prove that I would pay every month, otherwise I would spend much more money a month.

I could not buy a mobile plan and even less a mobile broadband plan, I bought prepaid of everything, they made me pay for a mobile broadband key, actually I paid AU$170.00 instead of buying a non prepaid for AU$39.90 a month with a free key, just because I didn't have enough documents to make those points, ridiculous, my international drivers license was in my country and my wife was bringing to me, my bad, don't make the same mistake.

Anyway, open an bank account first of all (do it on the next day after arriving), put some money there, get a drivers license copy (national or international works), copy of rent contract and/or job contract, if you already have any water, gas or electricity bill in your name you are safe, make a copy and go ahead.


Everything that I've said here, doesn't mean that you cannot have a mobile or mobile broadband, actually means that you will pay more for everything, intead to buy a mobile plan for example paying AU$29.90 a month and get a free awesome mobile, or even some deals to get a xbox or a tv for free, you will buy a mobile by your own or get a pre-paid plan with a crap phone or spend a lot to get a good one.


Telstra has the best coverage of all but every call is much more expensive than others




3 Mobile and Vodaphone, they have a good coverage, now they are the same company after join each other, the price of calls is good and in some cases you call for free to any number of 3 Mobile or Vodaphone.




Optus is really good too, sometime you have a really good deal, but I'm not sure if they have free calls to their mobiles on other numbers(like if your friend use the same mobile company)
mobiles of the







Keep eye on deals, they offer really good things when you chose their companies and
Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment